Final Major Project - Fictional band - Develop 2: Unit 12/13

Final Major Project - Fictional Band:

Develop - Character designs and narrative development


Once my logo was created, I began to design the characters. I started by researching Carl Jung's character archetypes, which would inform me in creating personalities and individual narratives for each character - thus also informing the visual designs of the characters. Starting with the bassist, I began sketching a human form and blocking in the body structure - in doing so I primarily considered gesture and line of motion to add a sense of movement to the design. Once a basis was formed, I exaggerated the proportions to accentuate particular areas of the design and create a more unique visual language for the fictional band. I then tested alternate proportions using my knowledge of shape language, to then decide on the best direction to take the design in (whether it be blockier, more slender, or the more balanced original design). From this, I developed a character key - allowing me to identify the key shapes that made up the character's form. I then applied the selected colour palette to the character, creating a series of iterations testing different colour ways to decide on the right combination for the final design. In doing so, I made sure to consider colour theory laws such as the 60:30:10 ratio and analogous colour. To finalise the design I applied a gradient layer overlay using the "screen" layer style. This added a sense of colour variation and depth to the final design.



I repeated these processes to develop the designs for the lead singer and drummer of the band, using different colour palettes for each member.



Once all three designs were complete, I tested them by placing them alongside one another. They worked well proportionately to one another and sat well on the same perspective plane, however the variety of colour palettes used caused clashing and lack of visual consistency. To combat this, I selected one colour palette to use for all three members - this created a more cohesive visual language and unified each member when seen together as a single entity.



I then considered the narrative basis for the band, exploring the Bielefeld conspiracy theory as an inspiration towards the storyline. Extracting key information from this research, I created a synopsis for the origin and current situation of my fictional band.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visual Language: Week Six - Summary of Unit

Visual Language: Week Two - Result of visual experiments - 4 page comic

Visual Language: Week Two - Visual Experiment - Response to broken Mew toy