Speaking and Listening: Unit 6

 Speaking and Listening: Unit 6 -


For this unit, I created a draft portfolio and presented to the rest of our group. I then received feedback from the class based on this presentation.

Portfolio

In regards to my portfolio, I feel it is successful in depicting my main discipline of illustration - all imagery included links back in some way to illustrative artworks, from digital illustrations to print typography.

I believe the layout is simple but effective, clearly showing both my best work and my growth as an illustration practitioner. However, based on feedback I received, I could give my work more space - allowing the viewer to spend more time taking in specific pieces rather than immediately moving on to the next project.

Regarding the format, I believe my use of a PDF file for my portfolio makes for an easily accessible format. I do think it would be beneficial for me to also have a website of all of my work and progress, and then provide a link in my portfolio to this website as a further reference point.

I am satisfied with the content within my portfolio thus far, however upon receiving feedback I plan on incorporating more progress and development insights into my work (primary sketches, colour palettes, artist references, research into shape language, anatomy, and other illustration skills) to show my capability of learning and adapting to improve my outcomes and overall skillset.

Presentation

I believe overall my presentation was very clear and concise. I made sure to discuss the meaning behind each piece of work included in my portfolio and used a variety of visual language terminology (referring to value, shape, colour, and other key terms) to show a clear understanding of my chosen discipline. I also allowed for the audience to feedback on my work without challenge, and was attentive of any and all feedback given to me and discussed with the audience how I could implement this feedback when further developing my work and portfolio.

I could improve on my overall presentation skills in a variety of ways. I believe standing instead of sitting would allow me to better articulate and reach the whole audience. I also paused a lot, using filled pauses (umms and errs) very frequently. By avoiding this I could sound a lot more confident in my own work and thus appear more reliable and knowledgeable in to respective clients/employers.

To improve upon these areas, some strategies I could use are: rehearsing, to prepare myself for the main presentation. Scripting/cue cards to help me along when I stumble or feel I've run out of things to talk about. I believe I could also practise challenging specific feedback if it's something I disagree with - I could do this by considering possible answers to particularly difficult questions for when they arise in presentations. 

Tyler Portfolio 1.pdf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visual Language: Week Six - Summary of Unit

Visual Language: Week Two - Result of visual experiments - 4 page comic

Visual Language: Week Two - Visual Experiment - Response to broken Mew toy