The Design Process - Week 2: Develop

 The Design Process: Develop

Perspective drawing
workshop

This week, I concentrated on developing my outcome for this project. In doing so, I gathered more research and began to respond to this by making observations of my chosen place, as well as discovering more skills within my practice of illustration (through research and workshops) to better my final outcome.

Beginning with workshops, I developed my knowledge on perspective drawing, value/tone drawing and shape language to improve my drawing skills. Through these workshops, I discovered how shape and form can be used to express character both subtly and overtly - depending on the designer's intentions. For example, using shape language - a character can appear to be stronger (square shaped), plumper and friendlier (circular shaped) or slightly more uneasy and aggressive (triangular shaped). This can then be utilised narratively by either playing into these characteristics or purposefully contradicting them. This workshop helped me to reflect on the shape language of Crossness in my later design choices when creating multiple iterations for my character design.
 
Perspective, values
and shape language workshops

Shape language
workshop
In my perspective drawing workshop, I learned that perspective can be used to warp form and create different effects depending on the point of perspective used. As an example of this, A shape in two point perspective could appear more imposing and domineering dependant on its placement in the frame. This can then be accentuated by the direction of light hitting the object - harsh values can appear more stark in nature, whereas softer values could create a more calming sense of character.


I also created a series of font sketches based on a quote from the Crossness website. I personally feel these iterations were slightly redundant to what my final outcome was leading towards, however they did help me further develop my skills in lettering. It also bettered my understanding of how shape language extends beyond character design, and can be incorporated into text as well.

Crossness visit notes
Following these workshops, I attended a guided tour of Crossness hosted by volunteer, Mariam. In this visit, I gathered multiple visual sources through my own observation, as well as lesser known facts and details about the location from Mariam's wealth of knowledge. These two forms of research will thus feed into my final outcome and the iterations that inevitably precede it. I plan on incorporating visual elements such as the pipework, engines, and insignias into my character for visual intricacy, as well as to reflect the symbolic meaning of these elements being used within the Crossness decor. 

Primary research
of Crossness

Furthering my knowledge on shape language and character design as a whole - I gathered research by reading a publication depicting the use of shape language in character design, and gathering visual research from character illustrators whose styles influence me and my creative choices. The book, "The Silver Way" by Stephen Silver, helped me develop a better understanding of how shapes can be manipulated
"The Silver Way" excerpt
across the entire body of a character (rather than just creating the entire character within one shape), as well as how these shapes can be further utilised and toyed with to create a variety of expressive gestures - helping to create more dynamic poses.

I then gathered some illustrations by Dave Stevens, particularly of his character The Rocketeer. This character formed my primary idea of the style direction I planned on taking my own character in. Although the era in which the character is based is different, I found similarities in the steampunk aesthetic of The Rocketeer and Crossness Pumping Station, and felt that observing Stevens' could be a good way to begin formulating ideas for later iterations of my own character.


Jamie Hewlett and
Dave Stevens research

My final path of research in the realm of character design was to observe the work of Jamie Hewlett (most notable for his character designs for The Gorillaz, and his own comic Tank Girl). Although his designs do not necessarily directly influence my own illustrations, I felt it would be beneficial to gather some pieces of his work to inform me in how shape language is used across each of his designs to portray different characteristics.

Ultimately, this week has lead to me delving deeper into my own practice of illustration and has greatly benefitted my knowledge surrounding the subject - this knowledge will definitely go on to inform my iterations and final outcome for this project, as well as my future works as well.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visual Language: Week Six - Summary of Unit

Visual Language: Week Two - Result of visual experiments - 4 page comic

Visual Language: Week Two - Visual Experiment - Response to broken Mew toy