Visual Language: Week Two - Visual Experiment - Response to broken Mew toy

4th Oct -

Visual Experiment - Response to broken Mew toy


found object: mew toy
Using a found object (a broken Pokemon toy) from home, I produced a series of drawings to further my understanding of visual language and the fundamentals of art/design. The results of these line makings were mixed, however I feel they have helped to further my understanding on key areas such as value and form.

The total batch of drawings included some gesture based line work studies (rotating the subject to experiment with form and shape), value studies accentuating light and shadow hitting the object, studies on shadows cast by the object, and experimentation with how scale affects the detail captured in a piece of work.


gesture and value studies

I feel that one of the three gesture drawings was very successful,  accurately capturing the form of the object in the angle I was  viewing it from with simple, quick, decisive lines. However, I feel the other two drawings were less successful - one being too sketchy and indecisive, and the other being too rushed and messy as a result of not thoroughly studying the object. The value studies I feel were more successful generally, helping me visualise and recreate a 3D object on a two dimensional plane using only two mediums (charcoal and chalk) and no line art.



experimentation with scale
These studies have helped me grasp a better understanding of how light and shadow can affect the general shape of the object, making it difficult to capture these changes when recreating with lines. To further my understanding of these elements of visual language, I will continue to sketch from life, focusing on how I can create gestures with minimum pencil strokes and how I can capture light and shadow using variations of shading and highlighting.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visual Language: Week Six - Summary of Unit

Visual Language: Week Two - Result of visual experiments - 4 page comic