Visual Language: Week Three - Creating miniature 3D structure

 14th Oct - Creating miniature 3D structure

Completed response -
Tunnel to another realm

As a visual response to my research, I created a miniature structure to represent my proposed temporary structure for the Brunswick Centre terrace. This was made with lollipop sticks to represent wooden supports, various green threads for the vines, and cardboard lines with hot glue to suggest flowing water underneath stepping stones (also made of cardboard in this mockup).

During this process, I found myself constantly taking time to stand back and look at my current work, to allow myself a moment to consider whether my structure was aligning with the vision I had for it. This allowed me to see where I was going wrong (at times the way in which I was attaching the supports wasn't entirely stable), and better these areas when I went back to working on the structure (by applying hot glue to the base of the supports to help stabilise them further).

Photo to create a more realistic perspective
of if the tunnel existed on a larger scale

I decided early on in the creative process to abandon my idea for a Torii gate, and instead lean into the idea of vines creating the overall structure. This was for two reasons - one being time constraints, as I only had a limited time to create the structure (3 hours). The other being a more considered reason - The Brunswick centre had nothing to do with Japanese culture, that idea came purely from my own influences. To better define the area where the structure would be placed, and to also avoid the suggestion of cultural appropriation in using Japanese culture purely for its aesthetics, I decided a Torii gate would not be suitable. This encouraged my work to better align with British Values, predominantly tolerance of faith and belief, and will help me to consider this further in my future work. I will continue to be inspired by Japanese culture and art forms, but I will aspire to be more considerate of how I apply those influences and better research the cultural meanings behind them.

This change in direction also allowed me to further reference my influences to create the structure, namely "The Tunnel to Summer, The Exit of Goodbyes" light novel by Mei Hachimoku and illustrated by Kukka, and later adapted to anime film by Studio CLAP and director Tomohisa Taguchi. The narrative revolves around two teenagers discovering the Urashima tunnel, a pathway that warps real world time to grant the wish of the venturer.

Photo to create a more realistic perspective
of if the tunnel existed on a larger scale

I completed my piece by adding fake moss to the outside of the structure, suggesting an ancient and ethereal nature to the structure and helping to encourage a sense of otherworldly ambience in the audience's response. I then photographed my piece from various angles, capturing some looking directly through the structure to create a more realistic visual of the tunnel, helping to visualise what the tunnel would look like on a larger scale using the desired materials instead of basic crafts.


Ultimately, considering this was my first attempt at creating a 3D structure, I am fairly satisfied with the result. The threads clearly depict vines, as do the hot clue and cardboard circular shapes for water and stepping stones respectively. If I was to improve on this piece, I would further stabilise the supports, as the lollipop stick wooden beams started to bow and crack under the weight of the thread vines, giving the tunnel a warped shape and proportions. To do this I would reinforce them, sticking two or three sticks together instead of relying on singular sticks to bear the weight of the structure - this would also help to better define the form of the tunnel. I would also adjust the form of the tunnel further, possibly changing the rhythm and movement of the structure by creating a more winding pathway rather than a straight, direct one. I would also play with the sizing of the structure, possibly making the pathway become smaller and more narrow as the audience pursue the path, to evoke nature closing in on them.



Photo to create a more realistic perspective
of if the tunnel existed on a larger scale









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visual Language: Week Six - Summary of Unit

Visual Language: Week Two - Result of visual experiments - 4 page comic

Visual Language: Week Two - Visual Experiment - Response to broken Mew toy