Visual Language: Week Three - Visit to Brunswick Centre and initial concept sketches

11th - 12th Oct -
Research for 3D structure design -
Visit to Brunswick Centre and initial concept sketches

Photo from Brunswick
Centre visit 

To develop a concept for a 3D structure, I visited the Brunswick Centre to better understand the thought processes of architectural design and research the proposed area, to visualise the ideal placement of a temporary structure on the terrace area. From my visit I collected photos and sketches to consider the layout and general aesthetic of the area, which I could then reflect on to develop my structure ideas. The Brunswick centre had a very monotone colour palette, and the layout of the interior felt very liminal and soviet in atmosphere, due to it's domineering concrete forms and minimal lighting. This created stark shadows, an echoic audial experience, and encouraged a sensation of isolation. Due to this research, I decided to propose. structure that greatly contrasted this atmosphere.

Photo from Brunswick
Centre Visit

Developing my initial idea, I drafted some visual elements in written notes to then riff some sketches off of them. My first thoughts were to create something that opposed the mood of the Brunswick centre, so to counteract it's isolated atmosphere, I wanted to use more vibrant colours, create an ancient and natural aesthetic to conflict with the modernised, concrete buildings, and evoke a sense of the ethereal and magical rather than the human-influence already present throughout the environment. Due to my personal interests in Japanese culture, I decided to sketch a draft design featuring a Torii gate (Shinto shrine gates, that represent the transition from the human realm to the sacred). My idea was to create a pathway in which the audience enter via a Torii gate into an otherworldly environment full off vines, running water, and imagery of Kami and Yokai (Japanese deities and spirits) lining the interior walls. The audience would then exit back into the real world via another Torii gate.

Brunswick Centre sketches

My sketches clearly depicted my thought processes, however I feel I could have expanded on this brief further by sketching out some of my other written ideas which may have then further influenced my final outcome (see next post). By only focusing on the one idea that I felt most passionately about, I feel I restricted my own creative process and didn't allow myself to experiment more in the development stage. I will improve on this in the future by allowing myself to explore more than one of my initial ideas.


Initial idea for temporary structure sketches and notes -
Torii gate tunnel to another realm


One aspect I am very satisfied with from these sketches is the consideration for sustainability in my idea - by focusing on the ancient and ethereal, it allowed for my idea to rely heavily on natural materials rather than manmade ones (for example, the proposed tunnel design is formed out of naturally grown vines and plants, rather than concrete or glass). This could possibly better benefit the area as a whole, encouraging more wildlife and vegetation growth to prosper, as well as influencing the audience to consider the positive emotional impact that nature has on us in contrast to an otherwise mundane and industrialised environment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visual Language: Week Six - Summary of Unit

Visual Language: Week Two - Result of visual experiments - 4 page comic

Visual Language: Week Two - Visual Experiment - Response to broken Mew toy